In June 2020, the Environment Bureau of the Hong Kong SAR Governmentannounced a Green Employment Scheme to subsidize over 200 of this year’s graduates to start a career in the environmental profession. In support of this initiative, HKIQEP will launch the Graduate Environmental Mentoring Scheme (GEMS) to facilitate the progressive development of environmental graduates receiving this subsidy from the Government. The GEMS will provide to Green Employment Scheme recipients, free of charge:
- voluntary personal mentorship by HKIQEP Professional Members or Fellows during the period they receive subsidy from the Government; and
- guidance on the compilation of log books that document their environmental experiences and outcomes gained through the on-the-job training under the Green Employment Scheme with reference to the Professional Assessment (Part II) covered by the HKIQEP Qualification Process.
We would like to call for volunteers amongst our Professional and Fellow members,
to be a GEMS Mentor for the duration of the HKSAR Government’s 18-month Green Employment Scheme.
As a GEMS Mentor, your commitments will revolve around:
- mentoring the Mentee, with no less than one 1-hour meeting/call per month;
- advising the Mentee to attend GEMS-related training and events as is/when appropriate; and
- ensuring truthful presentation of the outcomes in the GEMS logbook.
The benefits of being a GEMS Mentor include:
- your mentoring time being counted as CPD credits; and
- your GEMS mentoring experience counting as part of your ‘contribution towards the local environmental industry’, which is a mandatory requirement for Fellow Membership application.
The positive impact that a Mentor can have when contributing to the personal and professional development of a fresh graduate in the environmental industry is invaluable and can be a very meaningful and sometimes life-changing experience for both the Mentor as well as the Mentee.
If you are an HKIQEP Professional Member or Founding Fellow interested in becoming a GEMS Mentor, please register your interest with us by email at email@example.com or by calling (852) 6898 1507.
Thank you for your kind attention and for your ongoing support of the HKIQEP and contributions to the local environmental industry.
Dr. Jeanne Ng