Given all the infrastructure and environmental-related initiatives that need to be implemented in Hong Kong as well as in the Pearl River Delta Region (PRD) within the next decade, it is important to address the question of whether we have the volume of quality skills and expertise to deliver on them.
Therefore, the Hong Kong Institute of Qualified Environmental Professionals Limited (HKIQEP) was established in 2015 by a group of interested parties from the corporate sector, public sector and existing environmental professional institutions, not only to address this challenge, but to turn this into an opportunity for Hong Kong. We aim to transform Hong Kong into a center of excellence in professional environmental services that is aligned with and supportive of developing the environmental services industry as one of the pillar industries of Hong Kong. It can help to create more quality jobs for our future generations and further Hong Kong’s longstanding strengths in professional industries.
The development of qualified environmental professionals shall start at least at the tertiary education level and be supported by a robust professional training and qualification/certification infrastructure, to support growing market demand.
The core elements of the strategy proposed are:
- Creating a market demand for qualified environmental professionals,
- Strengthening environmental tertiary education,
- Building a Centre of Excellence for Qualified Environmental Professionals,
- Nurturing cross-disciplinary environmental professionals.
Our Institutional Partners
We collaborate with environmental professional institutions which share the same vision and goal of raising the standard of the environmental profession in Hong Kong. We work together with them to shape the qualification process for environmental professionals, as well as to mutually support each other in our missions. Our Institutional Partners include:
- Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM HK);
- Environmental Management Association of Hong Kong (EMAHK);
- Hong Kong Institute of Acoustics (HKIOA);
- Hong Kong Institute of Environmental Impact Assessment (HKIEIA); and
- Hong Kong Institute of Environmental Protection Officers (HKIEPO).